Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Truth of Sense-Certainty

B. Self-Consciousness

IV. The Truth of Sense-Certainty (§166-177)

To our sense-certainty, an object has being. To our perception, many properties and one unity. Our understanding begins to see objects as existing in the process of Force. In this next section, Hegel how consciousness understands objects as having being-for-self and being-for-another.

Our experience of other objects and our realization that the mediation that occurs between the I and the object (via sense-certainty, perception, and understanding) forces us to realize the uniqueness of the I in terms of it's position in the world for us. However, we immediately understand that as we see objects and other people as "Other," so they must see us, wrapped up in the world of their own I. So in this way, the I has frighteningly little uniqueness (§167).
Our fear of the Other as its own valid I results in a desire to abolish the Other (or the Otherness of the Other) (§172). We are frustrated in this attempt due to the very fact that we realize our own I in opposition to the Other. We are unable to abolish the Other because it exists in ourselves (§175)

No comments: